Sprucing Up Wine Bottles – Washi Tape DIY Date

Okay, so I’ll admit it upfront. I didn’t use wine bottles. I really spruced up some mini Martinelli bottles, but you can get the same effect with wine bottles.

Here’s what I did.

First I drank 3 mini martinelli’s (over the span of a few days, of course, I’m not an apple cider-holic):

Took off the labels and the paper and glue was still a bit stuck on it:

I sanded the glue/paper off and lightly sanded the rest of each bottle as well, so the spray paint could adhere:

I then set up my spray paint zone:

Used sun yellow rustoleum:

After the first coat of spray paint:

After the second coat:

Three times the charm:

Then I put a few strips of washi tape on them:

What I learned:

Most washi tape has a semi-transparent look to it, so it looks best on white background. It still looks good on the yellow background, but the colors of the washi tape really would have popped had it been on a white background.

Go see the other washi tape projects from the DIY Date at Laid Off Mom. They’re all super cute!

Linking up here:
Petites Passions

25 Responses to 'Sprucing Up Wine Bottles – Washi Tape DIY Date'

1. Oh my gosh! I love them! They’re adorable.

Not wine (or cider) drinkers around here, but totally going to start hoarding beer bottles to do this 😉

I can’t wait to see what other projects show up tomorrow.
    Ash @ HumberHomeProject recently posted..July DIY Date – Washi TapeMy Profile

Thanks Ash, I would like to see what you come up with if you choose to do this to some beer bottles 🙂

2. Oh my gosh — those turned out adorable! I love that yellow, and the coordinating washi tape colors. Great project! 🙂
    Maria @ All Things Luxurious recently posted..The Fancy Blonde ChihuahuaMy Profile

Thanks Maria, I was originally going to do a bright green, but then went with yellow (since we painted the shed door yellow) and those washi tape still worked with it 🙂 I am planning on keeping these on our patio table outside to bring some cohesiveness throughout the yard 🙂

3. Amy says:

What a nice excuse to finish a bottle of wine :). What a cute project. I love your spray paint area. Thanks for your tips and for sharing your adorable project.

4. Ali says:

This just adds to my recent obsession with yellow!!
    Ali recently posted..Sunday Linky DinkieMy Profile

5. Bella says:

What a great idea. Love the results!

6. Katie Price says:

These turned out so cute! The washi tape really brightens up the bottles. Thanks for sharing 🙂
    Katie Price recently posted..The Real Housewives of DominicaMy Profile

Thanks Katie. Yeah, the washi tape made them more fun. And I can always change the washi tape (or even spray paint the bottles a different color) if I ever want to go with a different look 🙂

7. Myric says:

Thank you so much for sharing your DIY! I always wonder how can I rid those label glues! It never occured to me to use sandpaper. How silly of me!

xo
    Myric
    Myric recently posted..Passion Parade Friday Link SoireeMy Profile

8. These are terrific. I like the yellow! xo
    Katherines Corner recently posted..Zucchini CookiesMy Profile

9. Laura says:

I find that soaking the bottles in water will help in softening and removing the glue from labels. This is a good compromise to the fact that you might accidentally scratch the surface of the bottles if you forgot to sandpaper it lightly.
    Laura recently posted..learn more about east coast swingMy Profile

Hi Laura, that’s a good tip. Not too big of a problem though if you’re going to spray paint the bottles 🙂

10. Looks great Lisha! Cool project. I like that tape.
    John @ Our Home from Scratch recently posted..Chalkboard LabelsMy Profile

11. Warren says:

Hi Lisha,

I’m the Social Media Coordinator here at Martinelli’s, and I just wanted to let you know how cool we think this DIY project is. We’ve shared this blog post on our Facebook page (facebook.com/MartinellisCo) and our Pinterest page (pinterest.com/MartinellisCo).

Nice work!

Warren Sampson
    Social Media Coordinator at S. Martinelli & Co.

CUTE! I love the yellow background, even if the tape is transparent 🙂 Great job!
    Kate recently posted..Graphic Monday: ABC Nursery ArtMy Profile

Thanks Kate. I think it would have come out the way I was expecting if it wasn’t so transparent, but yeah, I still like it 🙂

Trackbacks/Pingbacks