Office with a Nautical Feel – Before and After

Home Remodel Time

I claimed the office as my own personal project. It was a room I knew I could tackle all by myself. And being a girl, most people think Kyle does all the work, so I wanted to make sure there was at least one thing I could say I did all by myself.

Here’s how the office looked before we moved in:

Then, soon after we moved it, it started to look like this:

Something had to be done, and there was no closet in this room! So I decided to build one!

And I added shelves and DIY doors:

Then I got to smoothing the textured walls, sanding, cleaning, and painting:

All painted:

And here’s the after, fully furnished, and with a new fan, too:

At this point, we had our niece and nephew living with us, and this was my nephew’s room, filled with toys!

The finished closet:

This one you can see the view of the new stairs from inside the room:

And our famous before and after pics, side-by-side:

So how do you like it?

20 Responses to 'Office with a Nautical Feel – Before and After'

1. Love the navy 😉 But it was actually a pretty room before too! What a great space to work with!
    Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication recently posted..Shades of GrayMy Profile

Yeah that room was definitely the best room in the house before we even touched it 🙂 I just wan’t into it at the time. I LOVED the wanescotting though! 🙂

2. Looks great. Love the dark paint on the top half of the wall, really makes the closet feel like a built-in.
    Dan Polley (@polleydan) recently posted..Marinated Flank Steak Tacos with Cilantro-Lime Sour CreamMy Profile

3. Vicki says:

Looks fantastic! I love that grey you have used, and the closet looks fantastic too! Wish I had that room in my house…maybe you could just come and make me one! 🙂
    Vicki recently posted..Cupcake Owl CakeMy Profile

4. Danyelle Franciosa says:

That is very impressive. From scratch to a beautiful transformation of the room. I get some ideas on how to redesign my room and thank you so much for sharing this!
    Danyelle Franciosa recently posted..vist websiteMy Profile

5. Kathleen says:

I love the navy blue! Nice work 🙂
    Kathleen recently posted..A New Adventure!My Profile

6. Wow! What a great job! I love how the navy makes the beadboard pop.. and for a little boy’s room, it is perfect!

I am a 100% “do it myself” blogger without help from my husband and I go crazy when people think I am just the blogger and he does the work! Glad you have a room to claim just for yourself!
    Kim (TheMoney-Pit) recently posted..Help Me Design My Kitchen!!My Profile

You go Kim! 🙂 Sometimes there are things I like Kyle to help me with (like when there needs to be a taller or stronger person to help). But yeah, I love to be able to say I did it by myself 🙂

7. Impressed my sister! I love it lots! I like the dark navy contrast and I didn’t know you built a closet! The yellow and white was pretty too, but I like the way the dark blue paint adds boldness to the room. I’m hoping to move soon… maybe, if and when I do you better come over and give me pointers!

8. I bow to your awesomeness! xo
    Katherines Corner recently posted..Wordless Wednesday Shaggy DogMy Profile

9. Emily says:

I love the navy paint! I have been too scared to paint any dark colors, but this turned out FANTASTIC! The navy really pops against the white and looks beautiful with the wood floors. I absoultely LOVE this room.
    Emily recently posted..Wedding Wednesday – A Special EngagementMy Profile

Thanks Emily, yeah, as long as you have some lighter colors to offset the dark, it really looks good. In this case, the white wanescoting really made it look good

10. Bella says:

Wow! I’ve been roaming around your blog, and what you’ve done is so impressive. You’re certainly providing the incentive I need to at least deal with the little things like painting a few radiators!