DIY Over the Toilet Shelving Unit

Our new place has just one tiny bathroom and we needed more space to put our bathroom supplies, etc. So I decided to build an over-the-toilet shelving unit.

First I did a bunch of measuring and drew out my plan:

All I needed was:

• 4 six foot poplar 1″x1″ inch poles
  • 1 four foot poplar 1″x1″ inch poles
  • 2 eight foot 1x4s
  • 1 1/4 inch drywall screws

I like to use drywall screws for almost everything I do. I just find that they work better and they’re easier to use. They also don’t strip as easily as wood screws, and they look nicer because they’re black.

I cut everything to size. I wanted the shelf to be 5’2″ high and 29.5″ wide and about 9″ deep.

Ten 7.5″ poles for the sides

Six 29.5″ long 1x4s for the shelves themselves

First I put together the sides using two 5’2″ poles and five 7.5″ poles in between them for stability and for something for the shelves to sit on. I drilled holes and then drilled the screws in.

One:

Two:

Then I started putting the shelves on. I drilled holes for the screws, then I drilled the screws in. Drilling holes first makes it so the wood is less likely to split:

Shelf done:

Shelf in its place over the toilet:

Shelf with all the bathroom supplies in place:

Besides the screws it only cost about $20.

So what do you think?

Don’t forget to leave a comment!

14 Responses to 'DIY Over the Toilet Shelving Unit'

1. that looks so much sturdier than the over-toilet shelves you buy and assemble yourself!
    not to mention so much less expensive. :)

I love that you can paint it any color you want in the future, too :)
    Ash @ HumberHomeProject recently posted..Upholstered Window CorniceMy Profile

Yeah, it ended up pretty sturdy. And I am still contemplating whether I want to stain it like a mahogany or paint it white, so I’m just keeping it as is for now :)

2. Looks great, Lisha! And inexpensive, too!
    Maria @ All Things Luxurious recently posted..DIY Coffee Table BooksMy Profile

Thanks Maria. Yeah the price can’t be beat. I couldn’t find any bathroom shelves the right size, and definitely not for under $30. Not even at walmart or target

3. Ali says:

Perfect fit – great idea for those hard-to-match spaces!

Thanks Ali. Yeah, it worked out really well, and it’s kind of IKEA style. I saw you recently posted about IKEA on your blog :)

4. Kim says:

I looks great.. and the fact it fits exactly is awesome!
    Kim recently posted..Herb Crusted Grilled PorkchopsMy Profile

yeah, it was definitely about the function rather than the look of it. And I like the look of the shelf itself, but the containers kind of make it not look very nice… oh well about that for now ;)

5. I want shelves over my toilet in the guest bathroom, now I may have to look into making one instead of buying it!

6. Super handy! Love how you drew it out first. My hubby is good at doing that. Me, not so much. More on the wing it side. All said, I’d love to build a stand like this to overwinter my plants in the garage. I’m going to get on that. Tomorrow.

Bernadette
    Bernadette @ B3HD recently posted..I’d Cook More Kitchen – Pinterest Weekly 14My Profile

yeah I have to draw everything out first because I have to have everything perfect. And even then it doesn’t always work out perfectly because it’s hard to think in 3D on paper. I also just like to draw and I enjoy the planning aspect of building things.

7. I am feeling crafty after seeing how easy it is to make. I think you could paint it black and white to match/contrast the tile wall and flooring.

that’s a cool idea. Yeah it wasn’t too hard to make. But Kyle had to help me hold it together while I drilled the screws in….