I am a bad sunglasses person. Let me define what that means:
- I always drop my sunglasses and the lenses get scratched.
- I have a knack for losing my sunglasses, typically in public restrooms and restaurants.
- I buy cheap sunglasses because of this, so they don’t last long and usually end up broken.
I am a 99 Cents Only Stores shopper. I don’t buy everything they have, but some of the things they carry are super awesome. I have been buying my sunglasses there ever since I first visited one of their stores. Sometimes they don’t have anything good, so I wait until they get another shipment.
The other day, my current sunglasses broke.
Yep. Those were from the 99 cent store. So I don’t really care that they broke. I would rather buy 150 pairs of sunglasses in my life than purchase one for $150 and worry over them all the time, trying not to drop them or lose them…
I typically just wear one pair of sunglasses until something happens to them, then I buy a new pair.
Kyle and I went to the 99 Cents Only Store to go find me a new pair of cheap sunglasses that I liked. I was crossing my fingers that there was a good pair in there that I liked and that fit the frame of my face, because quite frankly, I don’t look good in all shades.
Well, I happened to find THREE, yep, THREE sunnies that I liked, so I bought them all! Now I won’t have to buy another pair of sunglasses for a year or two, so I’m pretty excited about that. Here’s what I got:
I’m not super fashionable, so this is as good as it gets for me. I just don’t really care. As long as people don’t notice me, then I’m guessing thatwhat I’m wearing is not so bad 😉
Also, a few months ago, Kyle made me this protective “case” to put my sunglasses in while I’m not wearing them. That way they will last longer and not get scratched, and I’m proud to say that I’ve been quite disciplined with actually putting my sunglasses in there.
What did he make this sunglasses pouch out of? A sock! From the 99 cent store! lol! He cut it to size, then threaded a drawstring through the opening so I can close it up securely. Now my sunglasses have a safe place to recharge.
Right now I’m into my fake Ray-Bans. And yes, it’s completely obvious that they’re fake, but like I said earlier, I just don’t care about impressing people. I’d rather impress people with my ability to find cool things on the cheap!
Tips for buying cheap sunglasses:
- Make sure they are 100% UV protection!
- Put them on and look around, preferably out the window. Make sure there are not scratches and also make sure they are not foggy or blurry.
- Make sure they are as dark as you want them, and in the color shade you like. Some are more rose colored, some orange, some bluish/black shade.
- Put them on your head and do a few head bangs to make sure it stays on your head (this is really important to me).
- When they’re on your face, make sure they don’t slide off your nose too easily and that they also don’t squish the sides of your head behind your ears. You want some sunglasses that you can wear all day for those long days outside or at the beach.
- Look at yourself in a mirror to make sure they look good on you and fit your face right.
If they don’t measure up to your expectations, don’t even buy them. Wait until there is a pair you really like. Then your 99 cents will stretch even further!
What kinds of things do you like to buy cheap, and what things do you go for the investment and spend more money on?
Linking up at Katherine’s Corner Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop.