Master Bathroom – Check – Before and After

By September 14, 2009, after Kyle installed the shower doors, we were finally finished with the master bathroom makeover.

So now we have some before and after photos with descriptions of what we did to transform this bathroom and overall just make it a much more functional and luxurious bathroom (for its size). The after photos were taken at the (almost) exact angle of the before photos so you can really get a feel for what it used to be like and all the work we did to get it to how it is now, which is fantastic!

This is what you saw when you first walked in before:

We removed the wall that you see on the left side and had to repair the drywall where damaged. We also removed those drawers you see in the wall by the sink because that’s where the toilet was moved to, and it doesn’t make sense to have drawers behind a toilet, right? So we had to repair the wall there as well. We smoothed the textured walls with joint compound, sanded, and painted the walls with a color called Boulder, satin finish. We replaced the vanity, sink, faucet, mirror, light fixture, and we moved the toilet to its current location, along with the toilet paper holder. I painted the inside of the medicine cabinet to freshen it up. Kyle shrank the window (by replacing the larger 4 foot wide window with a new 2 foot wide window) and had to repair the hole in the wall and make it match the outside. We shrank the window to make more room for the new shower. We also moved the towel holder, and we moved the light switch from behind the door, over to the new wall near the door opening. And we moved the outlet from behind the door over to the sink area. We also painted the door and replaced the door knob.

Here you see the long awkward “hallway” to the toilet, which was useless space. That’s why we changed the layout of the bathroom to make use of all the space in this small bathroom. By changing the layout, we had to lower the ceiling in the downstairs bathroom to make room for more plumbing.

Now where the toilet used to be is where half of the shower is, with its own shower head. Another shower head is on the other side of the shower. We had to remove all the tile in the whole bathroom, move some drain, vent, and water pipes, re-tile, grout, etc. Also created a whole new custom tile shower. We added the much envied huge shelf along the whole back wall of the shower to put shampoo and stuff. There were a lot of steps with the shower and it took many months to complete amongst the rest of life’s events. Finally, I was able to grout the shower and then all we needed were shower doors. When they were delivered, Kyle installed the shower doors pretty easily. And that was the last step in our bathroom makeover.

Here is the old shower… ugly!

We put this in its place! The other side of the shower with its own shower head of course. We added this towel rack as well. And you can now see the dimmer switches we put up for both the vanity light and the two recessed lights we had to install in the shower. This created great ambiance for a nice relaxing steamy shower!

Now turning back around, this is the other angle of the vanity area, before… ugly.

And After:

And for your comparison enjoyment, the before and after photos right next to each other:

So what do you guys think of the new bathroom?

24 Responses to 'Master Bathroom – Check – Before and After'

1. Love the renovations! Looks so much better and the use of space is much greater now too. Looking forward to seeing more soon! We’re currently in the process of moving to a new home so I’m sure we’ll be doing lots of renovations too.
    Amber at Love, Laugh, Live Well recently posted..Would an in-store nutritionist help you shop healthier at the grocery store?My Profile

2. Rachel says:

looks awesome!!! i miss that house!

yeah, I miss having a house and a yard and all that. And also you could bring Penny over and let her run around the yard :)

3. Awesome transformation! Great job and I LOVE the huge shower!
    Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication recently posted..Imma Hit Defrost on YaMy Profile

Looks great!
    Ashley recently posted..Eat, Drink and Be Merry!My Profile

5. I love your new shower! that looks so awesome!
    Micki @addhousewife recently posted..$3 BookshelfMy Profile

6. Wow! What a transformation! Looks much better! What’s with those old drawers in the before photos? Congrats guys!!
    John @ Our Home from Scratch recently posted..The Longest WallMy Profile

Hey John, Thanks. Yeah, those drawers were probably good for storage before, but they were old and ugly and definitely did not work for our new layout.

7. I saw this post earlier and I swear I commented.. but I guess not! :D

Anyhow.. I LOVE IT. The fact you moved the toilet made all the difference in the world. The tile work in the shower if fab and I love the color scheme. And now you finally have some storage since those pedestal sinks don’t offer any. Nice job. My bathroom is on the ‘to do’ list, but I am scared of all the work!

Thanks Kim! Yeah it is a lot of work, but if you have more than one bathroom in the house, you can do it! :)

8. Very nice! I LOVE the color on your walls.
    Amy@BuffaloRoam recently posted..Pass it on Project – Spoiler Alert!My Profile

9. Wanda says:

WOW! I love what you have done. Very nice!

Thank you Wanda, I appreciate you stopping by! Come back again later and see our other rooms transformed! :)

10. May says:

OMG! This transformation is totally awesome! I love how you changed the layout and the size of the window. I don’t have the courage to do a makeover like that even though my bathrooms do need some work. Did you get any professional help?
    Love it!
    May recently posted..Yay! Featured!My Profile

Thanks May!

We actually didn’t get any professional help on any part of our house except for the carpet installation in our bedroom. Everything else we did completely ourselves. We’re just handy people and we’re not afraid of anything! ;) The trick is to do your research so you don’t make a money-pit out of a functional house. You want to do as little work as possible, in the right order, and cost as little as possible, and turning out better than it originally was ;)

11. I like the “after” work in bathroom you have done. The shower you had in there before, very boring. I like everything you did there.

12. Teresa Mathew says:

When you are choosing the types of bathroom faucets that you decide to install, you will be amazed by the number of different options which are available to you. There are a number of different materials, including chrome, stainless steel, brushed nickel or brass. It can be difficult to know exactly which type of bathroom faucet to use. Each different type of faucet has different advantages and disadvantages, this makes them suitable for different purposes. Your preferences can affect the options that are suitable for you.^

Our blog page