Our House Exterior June 2009

One day I took some pictures of the outside of our house. This gives you a good idea of how much outside work we had done on the house so far: None.

I was dreaming about transforming our house from a cottage-y type house to a more craftsman style house, so I originally took these pictures of our house to edit them and see what would need to be done to make our house have a more craftsman style. We ended up nixing the idea when we realized we were just going to sell the house, because if you’re going to sell a house, you really just have to do the bare minumum and make the house function properly and look good. You don’t have to drastically change the style of the house.

So, here’s what the house looked like on June 1, 2009.

After living through one winter, with all the rain, the weeds in the planter grew and grew. And we didn’t chop them down or anything. We just let them grow. We were busy doing work inside. We just were not concerned with the outside of the house while the inside was in shambles. We figured we spend a lot more time inside (so why not fix that up first?), and only really saw the outside of our house when returning home from work each day.

Once the rain stopped, the weeds died and ended up looking like that. (really dreadful, if you ask me!)

With all the rain we got that winter, the roof of the pantry was leaking bad.

Here’s a horrible picture of the pantry leaking, with bowls everywhere:

As I said, it’s a horrible picture. You can barely tell what’s happening at all. Well, you can see the bowls with dirty water filling up, and there are other bowls placed around the floor collecting water from different drips coming from the ceiling. There was water dripping down almost every are of all the walls in the pantry. It was really bad.

So Kyle put a tarp on the roof. That helped. We didn’t have big leaks anymore. However, little did we know, water was still seeping in through the roof, just not in large quantities like before. So nothing was getting through the drywall anymore. Later, the drywall would fall down over the fridge after collecting way too much water after however many years that had been happening. We’ll talk more about that when the time comes. But for now, you can see the tarp Kyle put up to protect our pantry from being flooded:

And here are some random pictures of the side of our house. You can kind of see our strange neighbor’s back deck. You can’t really see how strange it all was, but believe me, strange stuff goes on over there…

Well, there’s the mini tour of some of the outside of our house at this point. Can’t wait to show you the transformation. That comes much later. We pretty much saved the outside for very last. Although, we did do some outdoor upkeep work after this moment in time, which is good because that was just very very bad.

Do you sometimes let your weeds just grow because it’s such a hassle you know they’re just going to grow back? Or are you the type of person that keeps a nice and tidy yard, nipping it in the bud? It takes a lot of work, but when you just do a little bit each week, it’s not overwhelming that way…

What about neighbors? Do you secretly have any neighbors who you wish lived in a different neighborhood, or made you wish that YOU live in a different neighborhood?

Ever deal with a leaky roof? It’s the worst. (You know how people say “It’s the worst,” and we all know it’s not REALLY the worst, but you know what they mean by that? yeah…)

14 Responses to 'Our House Exterior June 2009'

I’m really surprised that our roof doesn’t leak! It’s not in that great of shape.
    Ashley recently posted..I’m Going!My Profile

Hey Ashley
      yeah, I guess it just depends. A roof can be really old and not leak, but if it’s not done right in the first place, it’s definitely going to leak…

2. Wow thats crazy! I’m glad Jesse likes gardening and working outside because that is not my thing at all, but then again he doesn’t like painting and things like that, so I guess it’s a win win. The ceiling in our rental fell in during hurricane Irene because it was retaining too much water.
    Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication recently posted..Bolt Down the HatchesMy Profile

Hi Ashley, you guys make such a perfect pair. I always feel like since Kyle and I prefer different jobs too, that makes splitting up housework and such nice :)

Oh my gosh, your guys’ ceiling fell in during hurricane Irene? Oh my gosh, I can’t imagine!

3. I’ve never had to deal with a leaky roof (knock on wood) but weeds are the worst! I usually spend some time digging them out but then give up half-way through the spring…

Hi Molly! Thanks for joining in the conversation! :) Yeah, weeds are definitely annoying. If they stay green and don’t grow too wild, I don’t really mind. But they either grow way too huge, and/or they die, so then it looks like my front planter!

4. janet says:

I’m a pretty big freak about weeding. Our backyard is completely landscaped and there’s no grass. But we do have lots of area done in patio stones. Because we back onto a forest, the weeds seed themselves in the cracks btwn the patio stones and its a nightmare to get rid of. We usually spray it all with a vinegar/soap solution which works for a while, but its a never-ending battle. Makes me crazy because our yard is beautiful otherwise. Stupid weeds ;)
    janet recently posted..Blog Tag – I’m It!My Profile

Hi Janet,

Yeah, I’ve seen posts about your yard. Your yard is very pretty :) I have not tried the vinegar soap solution… I will keep that in mind for when we have a yard again :)

5. Rachel says:

I hate weeds also! But lately they’ve been sadly overtaking a lot of our yard too… :(
    Oh that would be awful to deal with a leaking roof! And uh oh, part of the ceiling caved in?
    Wow, I’m curious to hear what your strange neighbors do! Ha ha! Sounds like the movie the ‘Burbs…love that one! ;)
    Rachel recently posted..40 weeks oldMy Profile

Hi Rachel,

yeah, weeds just get out of control! Yes, it sucked when the ceiling caved in! It ruined a drawing my niece made for me with markers too (because some water came down with it!) I will have to do a post about our neighbor some time… lol! Just thinking about him makes me laugh

6. Louise Edu says:

Leaks are no bueno! We had a leak in our master bath…and we couldn’t pin point where it was coming from. Luckily we were in the process of getting our windows done, and when we told the window guy, he said it could be our old windows. After our new windows were put in, the leaking stopped! phew! I was scared it was gonna be the roof, and that would be another expense that we just didn’t have the money for. Everyone has weird neighbors! Haha…I do. I bet you could do one post on weird neigbors because everyone can relate to it. I wanna hear your weird neighbor story!
    Louise Edu recently posted..Coffee Filter FlowersMy Profile

Hi Louise,

wow, awesome that it was just the window and not the roof! especially since you were already getting your windows replaced anyway! I could probably do multiple posts on my weird neighbor, and then maybe other posts on my other weird neighbors! haha! ;)

7. Our pepper trees create new trees all over the backyard. It’s not unusual to have 20 + trees. I have my husband dig them out and they just come back. We already have 3 huge trees back there so we don’t need more. lol
    Katharine from Kat’s Almost Purrfect World recently posted..May 12th is Fibromyalgia Awareness DayMy Profile

yeah pepper trees are awesome like that. It’s so cool how they just create themselves. Saves money if you want trees in your backyard! lol! And you can always easily get rid of them if you have too many :)