This is What Kitty Does While We Work

So, if you’ve never had a cat, you may not know how lazy they are. I don’t think they’re lazy necessarily, but they definitely seem lazy. I think cats actually might need the 20 hours of sleep they get each day. I don’t know.

Anyway, just wanted to show you all what Kitty does while we work:

Only after she realizes I’m taking pictures of her, does she awake:

I think in this one, she’s telling me with her eyes that she wants me to leave her alone so she can continue with her beauty rest:

Thanks Kitty, for all your contributions around the house. For pooping in the litter box for us. For eating the food we buy you. For sticking your foot in your water bowl before you drink it (I don’t know what she does that but she does it every time!). And also, thanks for all the lovely cat fur you leave behind on our bed, carpet, couch, dining room chairs, etc. I love you! (Sticky Buddy, where are you??? I ordered you like 2 months ago!)

Actually, I really do love Kitty. She is so sweet. We have a new cat now (Sterling) and he’s been pretty mean to our two cats since we got him. Tommy and Kitty have been real troopers through the whole adjustment. (Right now Tommy’s snoring, which gives me peace of mind because they’ve both been a bit on edge with Sterling around).

But I’ll always have a special place in my heart for Kitty. My first pet that I’ve ever paid to take care of. When I was younger, we always had animals, at least a cat. I fed them, pet them, and played with them, but I never had to pay for their food or take them to the vet or anything. Now I have all those lovely responsibilities.

But for real now, my favorite thing about Kitty is that she will always lay on my lap. She loves flannel PJs. She likes to stretch out on my lap while Kyle and I are sitting in bed watching our tv shows on the laptop, a day later after they’re released on tv. That is her spot. And she always has to have her head facing my feet and she likes to stretch her arms down below my knees, which makes my legs feel claustrophobic for some reason, but Kitty won’t have it any other way. She thinks she’s the queen of the house, and sometimes I go ahead and let her believe that to be true.

Do you feel a special connection with one (or more) of your pets? Are you an animal lover like me? Do you think Kitty is cute, or do you hate cats, like my best friend’s dad?

19 Responses to 'This is What Kitty Does While We Work'

1. We have two cats, Bella and Abby. Bella was my first pet. She’s so funny, and really quite stupid which makes me love her even more. She is constantly “talking” to us and demanding to be pet. Abby is more of “my” cat. She doesn’t really like anyone but me. She loves to lay on my lap and she follows me around the house all day. She also has retained a lot of her kitten playfulness as she’s gotten older. I love cats, they’re so much fun!
    Shannon @ Bungalow960 recently posted..Meal PlanningMy Profile

HI Shannon, Oh yes, I always love it when you talk about your cats on your blog :) So funny how all cats have a different personality, like people. (because they think they’re people)

We have a dog, cat, and a turtle.

I love MY cat, but I’m not crazy about cats in general. This morning she was being a complete lunatic and playing in the bathtub because she liked the crinkling noise of the plastic drop sheet…she’s hilarious.

I am absolutely 100% a “dog person” though!
    Ashley recently posted..How to Tap your Trees for Maple SyrupMy Profile

oh, a turtle! I’ve always kinda wanted a turtle, I just never knew what I would do with it… I like dogs too. I just don’t want to take care of one because they’re more work… lol! ;)

3. Katie says:

What a beautiful cat! This makes me want my cat to be able to move into the dorm with me, sadly I would get kicked out if she did. :(

Oh! Thank you Katie :) I hope you don’t miss your cat too much while at the dorm. I missed my cat so much when I went to college. Thanks for stopping by!

4. Kenz says:

YAY! Another animal lover! Girl I am with you. My whole life we have had animals and I honestly don’t know what to do with myself when I don’t have some four legged friend with me. Ever seen the sloth clip with Kristen Bell? That is me with dogs, and cows, and even birds. I was always the kid who was bringing home strays even though we had a dog already. Our house was like the town rescue league. To this day I love my four legged babies, and if my husband let me, we’d have a house in the country and a huge old barn set aside for animals that needed loving. Oh my gosh my heart may burst with this post! ;D So in case you couldn’t tell, I love my animals too!

Kenz, I can tell you are an animal lover indeed! They are so fun and they don’t judge. I just love having my cats around to pet them. I would totally be the type to take in all the rescues, but we just can’t do that… Like you said, you gotta get a whole farm in the country for that! lol ;)

~lisha

5. Rachel says:

Our tortie is always helping with reno projects. Most recently she left her paw prints in the wet plaster :)
    Rachel recently posted..Guest Blogger: Renewed Upon A DreamMy Profile

You have a Tortie too! oh my gosh! yay for torties! It took us forever to find out what Kitty was. They first told us she had some siamese in her, and then when we were looking at other cats over time, we noticed all the patchy brown and black ones were called torties! So now we know she’s part siamese and part tortie. The funny thing is that we first named Kitty Franklin and I told Kyle that’s a turtle name (not to mention a boy name). Later on we come to realize she’s a Tortie (kinda like short for tortoise) lol

I love it when the animals “think” that they can help you fix up your house, lol!

• lol When I read, in another post, that you didn’t want to name Franklin cause he’s a tortoise, I wasn’t thinking about the fact that she is a tortie. I have my 3rd tortie now. They have the sweetest personalities and make more sound than just a meow. My first two torties always jumped in the sink to drink out of the faucet. Shasta doesn’t do it that often but I think it’s cause she’s too heavy to jump that high. She’s also part maine coon and is 17 pounds!!!
        Katharine from Kat’s Almost Purrfect World recently posted..May 12th is Fibromyalgia Awareness DayMy Profile

dang! 17 pounds! Yeah I didn’t realize she was a tortie when we first got her, so it was a funny coincidence when we found out later! :)

6. Ashton says:

What a sweet Kitty! I love my Mr. Dorian. We were never allowed to have cats (or dogs), partly because they thought I was allergic. Even though Dorian is more independent than I like, I love him more than I could ever have imagined. Isn’t it amazing, despite their laziness and everything we have to do for them, how much we grow to love our little animals?

Dorian does the water thing, too, only with his tail, which is so long and fluffy. Then he complains about the water and won’t drink it. I don’t understand it at all, but then he looks at me and I just melt :P
    Ashton recently posted..Coloured DenimMy Profile

Hi Ashton, yes your Dorian is a very cute cat! :) lol about Dorian sticking his tail in the water, oh my gosh! I have never seen a cat do that. So funny how picky they get about the weirdest things. For some reason, my cats don’t seem to like to drink the water in the house that’s been sitting there for awhile, but for some reason they’re perfectly fine with drinking a puddle outside, or the water from the bowl we keep outside for days.

• Ashton says:

I haven’t let Dorian outside since he was a baby, save for on the porch, which he just LOVES. I’ve been thinking about getting him a leash and working with him on that, though. I imagine he’d be kinda scared of puddles, but it would be fun to see how he reacted to them once he got used to them! :)
        Ashton recently posted..Coloured DenimMy Profile

lol! we tried to use a leash on Kitty when we first let her outside and she would just lie on the ground and not move. She hated the leash. So we tried just walking her around in our arms, showing her the lay of the land. Each day we would expand just a tiny bit, but we’d never go past our property, so she knew where the boundaries were (however, she obviously went past the boundary when she got the chance). Once we felt she knew the exterior of our house, we let her go and she was fine (except for one day when she couldn’t figure out how to get out of one of our neighbor’s backyard).

7. Rachel says:

Kitty is beautiful! She looks like my brother and his family’s cat Emmy. :) Oh I am a HUGE animal lover and have been all my life! Josh too, so I’m lucky! We already know Lillian has inherited it too. :) Our Shadow is queen of the house as well!
    Rachel recently posted..40 weeks oldMy Profile

8. Amy says:

Aww! Kitty is soo cute. I love to see them sleep. It’s like I live through them, wouldn’t it be nice to sleep all day! I couldn’t possibly do it because I would feel guilty, but it’s fun to see them do it. My cat Riley sleeps in little ball with her arm over her face and her paw curled around nose. Then if I wake her she gives me a little hoarse meow. It’s really cute.

Hi Amy, awww, sounds like Riley is such a cute kitty! I wish I could sleep all day too, but like you, I’d also feel guilty, lol!