The Ants Go Marching One by One

The ants go marching one by one, hurrah, hurrah!

That’s all that goes through my head when I see this:

And this:

And This:

And THIS!:

And THIS!!!!!!:

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Why do the ants always want to take over our home!

So yep, this happened again. If you were here a while ago, you saw our other post about ants.

Yep, they came again.

Hard core.

So we had to do some killing, which I hate. This time our defense was to get those little ant bait things you lay around the house, preferably at an ant entrance spot.

*photo via homedepot.com

Ants take some of the poison bait and bring it to their home and then everyone in the colony dies. It’s so sad. And I hate doing that, but if we don’t, they just keep coming and infesting our cereal and sugar, and sometimes they really end up covering all surfaces after awhile to the point that you can’t even walk anywhere without stepping on hundreds in each step. <– run on sentence?

So what’s the worst creature to ever take over your house? Rats? Raccoons? Mice? Skunks? Or are you like us and have an extreme ant problem? Leave a comment and tell us your horror story!

Come back tomorrow because we are going to show you the master bathroom, tile floors finally grouted and sealed, with the toilet and new vanity officially installed! yay!

25 Responses to 'The Ants Go Marching One by One'

Ooooh gosh. When we first started looking at our house, it was July and there were hundreds of cluster flies in every room. The very first night we spent in the house, we spent like half an hour sucking up flies with a hand held vaccuum. So gross.

We still have some flies, but nothing near as bad as that summer! We do have bats in the attic, though, and a whole ton of lady bugs everywhere.
    Ashley recently posted..Hey Hey Yogi!My Profile

oh my gosh! crazy. We get flies here, but not very bad. If we keep our doors open, some will come in, but there is never more than 2-5 or so… Bats in the attic? eek! what do you do about that? Do you just let them live there? I think lady bugs are cool and I wouldn’t mind having those. :)

• Ashley says:

Yeah, the flies are definitely pretty gross. Cluster flies are common on a lot of farms around here – we sprayed permethon (sp?) in the soil around the house last summer and they weren’t nearly as bad. Once we have the windows replaced it’ll be better still.

For now we’re living with the bats. There’s no point in removing them until we do the roof because there’s far too many point of re-entry right now!
        Ashley recently posted..Hey Hey Yogi!My Profile

Yeah, that makes sense to wait until you do the roof to remove the bats… wow, I am still thinking how crazy that is… we don’t have very many bats where we live. I’ve seen about 3 in my life. And usually they are just flying by really fast through the dark night so you never get to see it clearly.

2. We have tons of spiders because the previous owner of our home let the yard get out of control, so the bugs were out of control too. We had spiders the size of quarters. And for someone as afraid of spiders as I am, that’s terrifying. We’re hoping that it’s better this year since we got rid of a lot of the brush. Here’s to hoping.
    Shannon @ Bungalow960 recently posted..Decisions, DescisionsMy Profile

Oh my gosh, Shannon. Spiders by far are the worst for me. I think I would probably choose any other critter over spiders. Yeah, lots of brush will attract lots of bugs, and where there are bugs, there are spiders… spiders the size of quarters, oh my gosh, I’m gonna have nightmares tonight just thinking about that!

3. Amanda says:

Ants by far, they’re just so tiny and everywhere!;) we noticed 2 of our cats playing with them and come to find out they were traveling along the outside of our bamboo floors under the base board. So one night I got the idea to rip out all of our base boards (we were going to replace anyway and found they were worse than we thought. So in 2 locations we put jar covers with a mix of borax and powdered sugar where the dogs and cats had no access, after many unsuccessful attempts with traps, spray, etc. This worked instantly, I’m with you on not killing, but they just needed to stay outside. Not sure if the traps work the same way, but with this mix they also leave a scent behind that’s supposed to be a near permanent barrier. Though I must say being the arachnophobe (if that’s a word) that I am, I very much preferred the ants over the occasional spider we get :)

wow Amanda, that’s a cool idea to use the borax/powdered sugar mix. I think the ant bait works pretty much the same way as that. Because once we started leaving those ant bait things around, no ants would come back! yay! :)

I’m with you as far as spider though! I hate them! ack!

ugh… I just quickly scrolled past all those pictures with a disgusted look on my face. I cannot handle bug infestations INSIDE the house! We had ants just in Hayden’s room that somehow decided to get through the exterior wall {I guess the landscapers made them mad so they turned on us??} So we had to spray outside and set out drops inside. Didn’t take too long to get rid of them luckily. So gross!
    Kate recently posted..My Best Friend’s Bridal ShowerMy Profile

Hi Kate, I think the ant army decided to make war on you guys! lol ;)

yuck! Glad you guys were able to get a handle on it quickly :)

5. Meaghan says:

I had an ant problem once, while in college. The landlord eventually came and fumigated I think!

But I also remember a time when I was house sitting and raccoons actually came and took over the sun porch. And they were NOT friendly creatures – very scary! I went home and brought back my dog!!
    Meaghan recently posted..A reminder that spring is just around the corner!My Profile

Hi Meaghan, lol about the raccoons! Those things are not afraid of anyone. One time I saw one outside and I decided I was going to try to get it to come over to me, so I was bending down with my hand out toward it, talking in a squeeky voice telling it to come over to me (like you would with a cat), and it seriously started coming over to me… so I got up and decided not to coax it anymore (I didn’t know what he was going to do once he got to me!)

6. Tammi says:

There was a flea infestation when we moved in. We got that taken care of. Now we get ant trails every single year. We have also used ant bait traps (not cool with pets and a kid), spray foam to block the entrance point, and a homemade mint spray that the ants refuse to cross. Nothing seems to keep them away forever, though. Let me know if you figure it out!

yeah, it’s pretty crazy. the only time we didn’t have any more ants was after we remodeled the entire kitchen and got rid of the horrible pantry (the ant entry point). That pantry had lots of entry points for the ants. Other than that the ant bait really worked the best, but yeah not the safest for kids and pets. We were lucky because our cats weren’t interested in the ant bait things, so it worked for us.

7. Rachel says:

Oh my, I hate ant infestations!! They are such pests! And I agree with you, it’s sad to poison them but they just can’t inhabit our houses!
    We had (thankfully not an infestation though!) scorpions in our house…yuck! Once while pregnant I almost stepped on one that was hanging out right in front of my toilet, and then our cat was playing with one in the master bedroom, then we had one in the garage, and we’ve also found two drowned in our pool. ICK!
    Rachel recently posted..Nine months old today!My Profile

oh my gosh Rachel! that’s scary! Were you able to get rid of those? I’ve never had scorpions in my house…

8. Yuck! I hate Ants, when they bite to your skin it will swollen. It is truly hurts in an ant bites. Anyway Good luck!
    Danyelle Franciosa recently posted..Bifold DoorsMy Profile

Hi Danyelle, luckily these are the kind that don’t bite… they just take over your house and eat your food, lol! but yeah those ants that bite, ouch!

9. Vicki says:

WOW, I have the same problem. As soon as I get rid of the ants they come back. I have also tried peaceful solutions as I really did not want to murder all the ants, but a month ago it got so bad that we couldn’t even use the kitchen and I had no choice but to use poison. I also went around and caulked up all the gaps I could find to discourage them. So far they have not come back…..not going to hold my breathe though!

Hey Vicki, that’s what we did when we had our first ant problem at that house (caulked any gaps we could find). Unfortunately there were other gaps the ants could find that we couldn’t, so they were able to return. The only way we could keep them away was to poison them, and that is so sad… however, someone said they use cinnamon to keep them away, I guess putting it around the exterior of the house. Maybe that will work…

Thanks for stopping by, Vicki! :)

10. Louise Edu says:

Eeeek!! I remember your last post, but the close up of all the ants here, tops it!! Just the sight of ants makes me itch like crazy. I’ve experienced ants, mice, and believe it or not, skunks also! Back in college, I was living in a home with 5 other college friends, and a skunk decided he’d live underneath the home, right underneath my closet. One early morning, he musta gotten angry and sprayed…the enitre house SMELLED!! Including my friends and I!! The worst smell in the world! We all took baths in tomato juice…and to this day, if I smell a skunk, I remember that experience all too well =/
    Louise Edu recently posted..Tinkerbell Themed 5th BirthdayMy Profile

Oh my gosh Louise! eeeeeeww! skunk smell is so gross! I bet it took you forever to get rid of the smell!

• Louise Edu says:

Yes!! 4 of us had to actually drive back home to sd with all of our skunk smelling clothes, for Christmas. The skunk decided to spray us right before our winter break! So we ended up just throwing all our clothes in trash bags and throwing them in the trunk of the car. I can’t remember exactly how long it took to get rid of the smell, but I wanna say weeks. Not fun!!
        Louise Edu recently posted..Coffee Filter FlowersMy Profile