Lowering A Ceiling

Since we moved the toilet in the master bathroom, we also had to make room for the toilet plumbing below the master bathroom.

I know I know… You’re thinking, “Why would you ever lower a ceiling???”

We had to. And luckily, the downstairs bathroom is just below the upstairs one. Not only that, but the downstairs bathroom already had some random low ceilings for the old plumbing locations. So we just added to it to make it all more unified. Photos to explain below.

So here’s Kyle sneaking up on me as I am starting the work of building some framing to support the lower ceiling:
lowering a ceiling

And here I am showing off what a powerful woman I am:
building a ceiling frame

You can see that I had to rip away the drywall and then screw some new studs into the existing studs in order to frame the new ceiling.

So here’s a photo that explains (looking from the side), what the ceilings used to be (door to the bathroom is on far left):

Here’s what we decided to do… bring the low ceiling all the way across this side of the bathroom:

Here’s the old bathroom floor plan, looking down on how it used to be. You will see that there were random low ceiling areas just as you enter by the door, and over the tub/shower.
bathroom floor plan

Below, you can see that I have created one ceiling height for the right side of the bathroom, and the left side of the bathroom has normal ceiling height.
bathroom floor plan

So what do you think? (we love comments). Were we crazy to create even more low ceilings in the house? I think it’s crazy. However, there was no better way of doing it (in order to make room for the plumbing since we moved everything around in the master bathroom above). And it turned out pretty well in the end.

18 Responses to 'Lowering A Ceiling'

No “after” pictures? Or are they coming? Haha.

You’ve gotta do what you’ve gotta do – if we were adding a bathroom upstairs we’d have to lower our ceiling, too, although it probably wouldn’t be that drastic since we have 9.5′ ceilings.
    Ashley recently posted..Bathroom Tour: BeforeMy Profile

yeah, our ceilings were only 8 foot ceilings, so it was kinda bad having 7 foot ceilings. But for some reason it didn’t seem so bad when it was done. We can’t show you after pics of this area because we didn’t take any when it was finished and we don’t really have any pictures of the downstairs bathroom until it was all done, so we can’t reveal that yet! :)

2. I can’t believe you guys did all this! Nuts! But lowering the ceiling in this instance makes sense. Can’t wait to see how you kept it from being a cave!
    Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication recently posted..Ahhhh! Freak Out!My Profile

putting in the recessed lights made it bright enough so it didn’t feel like a cave. It was weird, but it ended up okay :)

it definitely makes sense… still sad to loose the height! o well :p
    Kate recently posted..Gluten Free Flat BreadMy Profile

yes I know! dreadful! however, looking back at the after pics of the downstairs bathroom (which I can’t show yet) it’s barely even noticeable :)

4. Julie says:

I’ve looked into getting plumming in my attic and I won’t lie, we looked at the ceiling. We’ve decided now that we will build a false wall to hide pipes if we make it up there. I think you two made the right decision.
    Julie recently posted..7 New Ways To Use PinterestMy Profile

5. I love bathroom renovations! We’re trying to complete one, too! Crazy things gotta get done to make the perfect bathroom!
    TheChangingHouse recently posted..Bathroom lights.My Profile

Thanks for stopping by “The Changing House” I’m excited to check out your blog later to see what you have going on there :) Good luck with your bathroom! ~Lisha

6. Hey there! We just had the ceiling in the basement lowered to hide all of the plumbing aka hot water radiator pipes – a necessary evil. We were afraid of the “cave feeling” also because the basement ceiling isn’t very high to begin with, but I think it turned out fine. Hopefully I’ll get around to posting it soon…. We didn’t do it ourselves because we ran out of time, but I am super impressed that you did. You should join the Power Tool Link Party on the 15th that First Home Dreams and I are hosting. Happy Friday!
    Rachel Corrigan recently posted..Simple and Stylish Kitchen OrganizationMy Profile

Hi Rachel, yeah, basements are usually lower than regular rooms. I’m glad yous turned out okay too :) I will check out that power tool link party! sounds super fun :) ~Lisha

7. Carports says:

Great idea! I’ve been waiting for the after pictures. Please post it soon. I really want to see the difference.

8. Louise Edu says:

Wow, that looks like some serious work! I wouldn’t know where to start. I should take pics of our house…We have crazy weird angles and overhangs (i think that’s the name for it) in our master bedroom/bathroom. I sooo want to get rid of those. but I’m always scared of going through drywall. That is awesome that you’re even playing with the frame work! Go Lisha!! DIY Women Rock!

xo,
    Louise
    Louise Edu recently posted..Our Story – Chapter 4My Profile

Thanks Louise :) It’s really not that scary once you start doing it. And especially if you live in a newer home you won’t have as much to worry about. Also, you guys are very handy, I’m sure you could figure out how to do it and put drywall back up and stuff. If not, just email me and I’ll give you detailed instructions ;)

9. Rachel says:

I’m so glad you found me on twitter! I’m following you now, too. I’m looking forward to following your progress on your house! I’m also in SD – east county born and raised :)
    Rachel recently posted..Sunshine and rosesMy Profile

yay, cool :) Kyle is actually from Chula Vista and I’m originally from San Clemente, but we ended up in East County because it is so much more affordable than most other places,and it’s still close enough to everything :) Looking forward to your blogging greatness at ourhavenhill.com :)