So, after we finished with the majority of the work on the master bedroom (because, let’s face it, there’s always more you could do to improve a home) we moved our furniture in. Now before you go looking at all the pictures, let me forewarn you that we did not fix the bed all nice or make the curtains all nice before taking this set of “after-ish” pics. So it looks quite sloppy and I personally don’t even think these “after-ish” pics even look better than the before pics. Remember, at this point, it was still a work-in-progress. Now, with that said, you may now look at the pics in this post!
But first, let’s do a little curtain dance!
Kyle and I are very cheap (I am even more cheap than Kyle and I tend to make Kyle agree with me), so we used sheets, yes sheets… the cheapest sheets we could find… at Walmart… to use as curtains! BAH! I know. really trashy. I am almost ashamed to admit it. But we were a newly-wed couple with big bills, and while my paychecks were getting slightly (and I mean only a tiny bit) bigger overtime, Kyle’s were dramatically decreasing because of the recession. Plus, to mention it again, I am very cheap. We needed something to cover the windows, so that’s what we did.
Kyle is the one with the sewing skills in our relationship. He’s actually quite good at it. And I’ve only sewn a couple things in my life and I wasn’t very good at it. So Kyle fixed the sheets to make them the right size for our windows and closet, and he created the slots for the curtain rods to go through. No, we didn’t go outside in the wilderness to find long sticks to use as curtain rods. We actually bit the bullet and purchased real curtain rods.
At first, we didn’t really care that they were too long. We weren’t sure what we were going to do about that, but at the moment we really just cared about getting something over the windows so no one could look in at us at night, and so the sun didn’t wake us up too much in the morning.
I would like to say now that I don’t think I’m ever going to use sheets for curtains again. They aren’t even thick enough to really block out the light, and it looks really cheap. But once we bought them and Kyle customized them, we were kind of stuck with ’em. It did its duty during that stage of our lives. What are ya gonna do?
There were a few more changes we made in this room before we put the house on the market. We changed the fan, and we added some extra fabric to the curtains. We also made it look a lot more nice and presentable and added some decorations and throw pillows and such. Tomorrow that’s what you’ll get to see! With all the Official before and after pics of the master bedroom, with almost exact angles of the after as the before pics. Right now I just want you to know that this is nothing compared to what you’ll see tomorrow. I think you’ll probably be amazed. Kyle and I always are when we look at the Official before and after pics.
*Update: Click here to see the official Before and After of the completely remodeled and staged Master Bedroom.