Am I Too Late to Do A Resolutions Post?

Hey people, today we’re going to take a tangent, because I’ve been reading lots of blogs lately, and I have to tell you it is extremely hard to not talk about the present. So far I’ve been talking about 2008 and now we’re in 2012. It just seems so irrelevant. There is a method to this madness, and I hate doing things out of order, so that’s just the way this blog is going to be for awhile until we get all caught up to present day.

Kyle and I sold our house in June and we moved into a little apartment where our neighbors smoke and fight. It is an understatement to say I’m already tired of living in an apartment. But I got so used to having space and air to breathe. It is tough taking what seems like a backwards step in life, financially or not, but that is what we have to do now.

This is part of the reason why I’m blogging. I started online businesses this past summer (pretty much around the time we moved) in order to start a new fresh life. I’m building our life from scratch because I’d rather build a life for us than have our lives run by bosses. I don’t know what it is but the security of a job does not make me less stressed than having no money at all. It is not that I am lazy or I don’t like working. It is just that I don’t like having a set schedule or someone to scrutinize my work. I would rather measure up to my own expectations rather than a boss’ expectations.

A little back story. I went to Point Loma Nazarene University and earned a bachelor’s degree in psychology and I kind of used it with the caretaking of people with mental disabilities after graduation. However, those jobs didn’t last and I wasn’t so sure I wanted them to anyway. I’ve always wanted to be free. And I think since I’ve met Kyle I’ve kind of rubbed off on him too. He just recently decided to manufacture Porche parts and sell them at a much cheaper price than the originals (and at a better quality too!). Today he made his first sales. Sales with a big S on the end because he made a lot of sales. And for what? A part that takes away the squeeking of the the hatch of a Porche 944. (That’s the car Kyle drives).

This is a tangent of a blog post, that’s for sure.

So anyway, even though I’m a college grad and I’m not really using my degree, I don’t regret going to college. It was one of the most fun times I’ve ever had in my life (and the most expensive fun I’ve ever had, I’ve just barely made a dent in my student loans so far).

Now Kyle and I are at a stage of life where we are kind of at a precipice. We are on the verge of our new life. We just have to keep going in the direction we’re going and we will be able to accomplish our goals.

Which brings me to the purpose of this blog post. I don’t make resolutions. If I do, I make them multiple times throughout the year and I don’t call them resolutions. I call them “I need to’s”. Because that’s what we say, isn’t it? I need to eat healthier. I need to exercise more. I need to stop working by 9pm (it’s 10pm as I write this right now).  I need to create more balance in my life. I need to stop saying YES to EVERYTHING. seriously.

But in honor of the New Year, I’m going to share a bit of my own personal goals (which are going to become Kyle’s too, since we’re married and that’s how it works, lol).

On New Year’s Eve, Kyle and I were watching HGTV. House Hunter’s International to be exact. A couple was looking for a place by the beach in Ecuador. It reminded me of a House Hunter’s International episode I saw a few years ago about a surfing couple who was looking for a home in Nicaragua. I’ve always wanted to learn how to surf, but I’ve never made it a priority, so I still don’t know how. I’m sure I could do it if I tried and practiced, but I’ve seriously never touched a surfboard. You can’t do something until you do it. How simple, yet complex, is that?

Anyway, Tuesday night, Kyle and I were in bed and we watch tv on the internet on our laptop. We decided to watch something on HGTV. I suggested International House Hunter’s again. And guess what! There was an episode about Nicaragua! It was another surfing couple who was buying a place near the beach in Nicaragua so they could retire now (and probably work later). They had the idea in their mind that it doesn’t make sense to retire when you are too old to enjoy it. Not that young people would know, but sometimes our bodies do start to fall apart over time. So if you want to surf your life away, you better do it when you’re young.

There is a reason why many people retire when they’re older though. The main one is simply that they can’t afford to do it any sooner.

Here’s the thing about Nicaragua, though. I personally could live there because I could do everything I like to do in life in Nicaragua. I like to play guitar, go to the beach, I want to learn to surf (still), I can do internet work with my online businesses. The dollar stretches 3 times farther there (than in the US) and it has the lowest crime rate in Central America. So retiring in Nicaragua would be a lot easier than retiring in America.

I’m not saying that my goal is necessarily to move to Nicaragua. My goal is to be ABLE to move to Nicaragua, and then do it if that’s what we want to do. But first, I’d like to just go there. That would be cool.

My main goal (and Kyle wants to do this too) is to be able to purchase another home by the end of 2012 so we can fix it up again. Then I’d like to document it here on this blog as we go along (instead of in hindsight). That way our blog would be more present and up-to-date, and it would be a lot easier to remember the little things that happened, rather than trying to remember what happened 3 years ago.

You can help us out just by reading our blog and telling your friends about our blog. We’d really appreciate any help we could get and we’d love to have more readers share in our experiences.

You can also share this blog post and others as you read them on Twitter on Facebook. It’s easy. Just copy and paste the text below:

Just read an awesome blog post by 1house1couple: http://onehouseonecouple.blogzam.com, check it out.

Or be original and unique, that would be even more awesome. We would just be super honored if you felt that our blog was worth sharing.

So, if you want to see us finish this house, and be able to start another one, share our posts with others at any opportunity. Our blog readers can be our support in order to get another crappy house and make it beautiful, and it won’t cost you readers a thing!

I want to personally thank you for stopping by our little bloggie. I really appreciate some of the loyalty our readers have shown so far. I feel so grateful to already have regular followers. Thank you so much! We couldn’t and wouldn’t do it without you.

Come back tomorrow and you’ll have another post to read :)

Comments are highly welcomed here at 1house1couple. We’d like to get to know you more too! What are your life goals, short term goals, or New Years Resolutions?

12 Responses to 'Am I Too Late to Do A Resolutions Post?'

1. Okay so I am glad I am not the only one faithfully watching House Hunters International. I am so addicted. Even when I have other things to do I say to myself, “I just need to see the next house” and then it turns into “I NEED TO SEE WHICH ONE THEY PICKED!!!!”

I am constantly thinking of being able to live a comfortable and enjoyable life once I retire. My favorite place in the world is Maui, and being able to live there is a dream of mine. We work our butts off now to retire and enjoy ourselves. My dream is to be able to work my butt off in a way that I love, but that’s just not the way it works right now. Someday…
    Shannon @ Bungalow960 recently posted..gettin’ my betty crocker on – caprese style chicken and rosemary red potatoesMy Profile

Hi Shannon, seriously, isn’t that how it is? you have to watch the whole thing, or you better not start watching the episode at all… lol. I have never been to maui, or any hawaiian island. I would like to go see all of the whole world at some point, but I think it’s impossible to do!

I found it really interesting to hear that you guys no longer live in the house you’ve been telling us about! Maybe it’s been mentioned before – I admittedly have missed a few posts.

I’ve just made a new page on our blog – not a post – about our 2012 goals for the house. Check it out if you like!

http://firsthomedreams.blogspot.com/p/home-to-do.html (excuse the mess on the blog right now, I’m revamping the layout as I type this!)
    Ashley recently posted..I’m baaaa-aaaaaack!My Profile

Hi Ashley, Yeah, we sold our house in June, so now we’re waiting for the right time to do the whole thing again! I can’t wait to get the old house’s after pics all out in the open on this blog :) And I can’t wait to do another house. It’s a lot of hard work, but I just love to see the results and enjoy it!

I prefer year goals instead of resolutions. For some reason it seems like it’s easier to work toward a goal than to “keep” a resolution. I’m gonna take a look at your goals right now.. :)

3. Love this post Lisha. Sounds like the two of you are on the same page and that’s the most important place to start. With hard work and your positive attitude, you’ll accomplish anything you set your mind to :)

My husband is self-employed and it takes a tremendous amount of discipline and very hard, never-ending work to be successful, but it also feels way more worthwhile than doing the same for someone else. And while I’m not currently using either of my degrees, I would never, ever regret going to university. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime experience and every year I realize more and more things it did for me/prepared me for.

I don’t mean this to sound patronizing at all (it’s just that I can tell by your photos that I’m quite a bit older than you are) but I often think back to your stage in our “family’s” relationship and wonder where we’d be if we’d made different decisions here or there. You’re at a fun time in your life – only possibilities ahead! Not that I’m not, but things definitely change once you have kids ;) Enjoy the ride!
    Janet @HouseFour recently posted..Happy New Year!My Profile

Janet, Thanks for the positive words. I agree that if you really want to accomplish something and you take the steps necessary to do so, not much can stop you fully. Many things may hinder you or slow you down, but if you’re consistent, you can do anything!

I agree about college. I am a much “richer” person because of it :)

Yes, I agree that kids are an added bonus of work on top of the rest of life. Kyle and I fostered our niece (5) and nephew (2) for 6 months this past year, so having our own kids is not one of our goals right now, lol! ;)

4. Reuben says:

I’m curious about what other online businesses you’ve started!
    Reuben recently posted..Skiing at Red LodgeMy Profile

Hi Reuben, thanks for stopping by. As for online businesses, oh, really just a ton of little things, like being an affiliate for different products. For instance, for Christmas I got a silk’n sensepil hair removal system because I hate shaving. Now I’m an affiliate for the product. You can save 20% on all purchases by going through my link: http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-5569703-10777998 and putting in the code BEAUTY20 <– see what I did there? Nice plug, huh? ;) Maybe your wife's birthday is coming up, or even a great Valentine's gift!

Wow I totally can identify with this post!! Wes & I also watch HGTV & House Hunters all the time… and I know exactly what episode you are talking about! {haha – is that sad??}

I also completely know what you mean about wanting to have the freedom to move or do things with your life. Right now we’re content with our life and renting the house we live in, but we can wait until we’re able to find our own fixer-uper {and to blog about it just like you said!} It’s hard to be patient sometimes, but we have to keep reminding ourselves to live in the now {yes, I realize how clique that sounds} and not constantly be wishing for the future.

Thanks for this post! :)
    Kate recently posted..Pom NecklacesMy Profile

Hi Kate, You’re completely right. The thing that keeps me content in the now (living in an apartment) is telling myself how much money we’re saving by doing so. When you have large bills, it’s very easy to get over stressed in life and then you don’t even get to enjoy the little things (you’re just too worried about paying the bills). So I am super happy that we are not currently worried about money (because when we had the house we were getting close to that zero mark on our bank account, I think God kept saving us or something because it was always a miracle having money in the bank and it seemed like we didn’t even know where it came from). And not having to worry about money has given me the freedom to start my efforts of making money online which gives me a sense of freedom (even though I’m locked to my computer with handcuffs everyday). lol :)

6. Great post! Congrats to Kyle for making those sales too you must be so proud of him. My husband and I have discussed moving out of the US many times. It’s a hard trigger to pull right now w/all the our little ones & family we have here; BUT we’d love to do it in the future and not necessarily when we’re too old and gray to really enjoy it :) We’ll see I guess.

My on-going goal right is to continue being as thrifty as possible. I’ve always been a spender. Thank you DIY world for helping change that :)

I’ve been semi-MIA since the holiday season. Hope you guys had a great holiday and a Happy New Year!
    Bella (@weheartDIY) recently posted..Freebie: February 2012 Printable CalendarMy Profile

Thanks for stopping by Bella. I’ve always been thrifty (out of necessity). Lately and I hope ongoing into the future, I am able to be thrifty by choice. It is a much better feeling :) Moving abroad seems like a scary thing, being away from everything we know and all our family and such, and we’re not sure if we’re ever actually going to do it, but it would be nice to just be able to :)