Two Fiascos

Hey everyone, I hope you had a wonderful weekend!

I want to give you a heads up right now that I’m going to be taking a Christmas break from blogging. So, Thursday through Monday are going to be my Christmas vacation. This week we will have blog posts for you on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, and we’ll be back again next week on Tuesday for another house update for you :)

If you’re just joining us for the first time, we have a page with all the blog posts up, so you can start from the beginning, or just check out any posts that you’ve missed. You can look through all of One House, One Couple blog posts here.

Today we’re going to talk about two fiascos that occurred in October 2008 in our lovely “new” old house. One was pretty cool, one was not cool at all.

Do you want me to give you the good news or the bad news first? Let’s start with the good news:

CANDLE FLOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was kinda crazy and startling at first, but when we realized nothing was destroyed by the wax (i.e. fabric, etc), it was pretty cool. So we took some pictures.

It’s like natural art!

And this is what it looked like without the flash. Pretty cool, I think… The other two flames went out.

Now we have fiasco number two which pretty much sucked. I told you in the last post that our pantry got an ant problem, so we had to move all of our food items from the pantry to the dining table.

Well, not long after the pantry ant army brigade, that same ant brigade made it’s way all the way from our pantry to our trash can on the other side of the kitchen.

Here are some photos as proof!

ANT FLOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, ants are sometimes the worst thing in the world, aren’t they? I mean, I don’t mind them outside. They don’t harm anything or anyone. But seriously, how do they expect to live if they’re going to try to take over my entire kitchen???

As you can see, their line of trail is heading straight across the counter from the pantry, all the way to the trash can!

Sorry about the blurry pictures. At this point, we didn’t yet figure out that there was a digital macro setting on our camera to take close-up images. Isn’t this super fun though?

When I was little, we always had an ant problem at our house. Builders just don’t seal up houses very well to keep the outside critters out. I remember having ant problems in the kitchen when the entire floor was just covered with ants. And I’m not talking about a trail, I’m talking about ants just walking around all over the floor. Not that you couldn’t see any of the white tile underneath, but it was about half white, half black floor.

Well, my childhood had come back to haunt me and this house’s ant problem was just like that. The ant problem didn’t really end until we completely remodeled the kitchen (in July of 2010). The pantry was the big issue. It was an add-on and it wasn’t added on right. They didn’t seal it enough to keep the ants out. I can’t wait to show you all the kitchen remodel because that is one of the big awesome things we did to change this house!

But… you’re gonna have to wait because the kitchen was one of the last things we completed on this house!

Okay, I’m gonna be vulnerable for a minute and ask you to share our blog with your friends. Having lunch with a friend this week? Tell them about One House, One Couple! We’d surely appreciate it!

Thanks for stopping by! Come back tomorrow and we’ll show you more work done on the French doors in the master bedroom.

Have you ever had an ant problem? What did you do to solve it (either temporarily or permanently)?

What we did temporarily was we never put food or un-rinsed fast food soda cups in the trash. We either had to put food down the garbage disposal or throw it immediately in the big trash bin outside. We also had to keep any opened food items on the dining table for a while. We used caulking to seal the places that seemed the ants were coming through, but the ants just kept finding a new way in. The winter was the worst. They would always come in when it rained.

16 Responses to 'Two Fiascos'

1. Oh yuck. That line of ants marching is crazy!
    We’ve had a few very minor ant issues in our various houses. The latest was this summer and we solved it by putting down diatomaceous earth which is a powdery substance that apparently dyhydrates the ants. VERY successful. We’ve also used those little round ant “traps” with the poison in them that the ants take back to their homes. But we’ve never found those to be 100% successful and we don’t like leaving them lying around now that we have a dog.
    Glad to hear you’re taking a blogging “holiday”! Spend time with your family and just relax and celebrate :)
    Janet @HouseFour recently posted..On grief, chickadees and other pretty thingsMy Profile

Hi Janet, I think different areas depending on weather have more ants than other areas. Yeah, we also used some of those ant poison traps (even though they’re not technically traps, lol). They were better than nothing.

2. Jennifer says:

We had ants take over our house this year and it was not fun. We actually had to have an exterminator come in because it was so out of control. I never thought I would call an exterminator over ants, but there is a first for everything. I’m glad you got your problem under control (eventually, I’m assuming since you don’t have current pictures of the ants). Right now, we are just praying ours don’t come back.

Enjoy your time off!
    Jennifer recently posted..Baby Chichi Boutique: Custom Monogrammed & Applique Clothing for Children {Review & Giveaway}My Profile

Wow, yeah I can imagine you felt like you were taking drastic measures, but when the ants are just all over your house you just can’t live in a place like that! Thanks for stopping by, Jennifer :)

3. Malissa says:

Uhg! We have had ants, they really are the pits. We use Terro Ant bait when we see them since the ants carry the poison back to the nest. Works great!
    Malissa recently posted..I’m back, kind of.My Profile

Hi Malissa, thanks for stopping by… yeah we ended up doing that too with the ant bait (that’s what it’s called, not a “trap:)!

4. Ick. We had an ant problem like that at our old apartment one time. Our solution was to pack up the cat, leave for the day, and spray the heck out of the place with bug poison. Seemed to do the trick. Thankfully, we haven’t had any bug problems at our new house so far…
    Sarah @ Freestyle Home/Life recently posted..Eight WeeksMy Profile

5. Kendall Nalley says:

Man. Why are ant problems so horrific in southern california. I don’t know how it is in other parts of the USA, but my parents house they made a trail over the sink and to the trash can. And somehow popped out of the floor or through the ceiling in the middle of the house where there is no known entry point to get the the jar of fat my mom kept closed. Oh and I swear they ate through a peanut butter jar that was closed as well. Yuck! They still have not solved this problem and its been going on for 20 years. Oh yea, and the rain sucks too.

Hi Kendall!!! Yes, seriously, I think southern california has the worst ant problem, and yes the ants are worse when it rains! I don’t know how they get in sometimes! lol!

6. Louise Edu says:

OMG! I felt itchy when I saw the pic of the ants! hahaha…and the candle did look like a piece of art!! And, you are on my blogroll my friend!! =) Gotta share the LOVE! =)

7. I know this is totally off-topic, but the picture “Candle Flood (3)” reminded me of Dr. Zoidberg (from the TV show Futurama) instantly when I saw it! :D
    Christina @ The Fantastic Voyage recently posted..Year 2011, In PicturesMy Profile

8. We often have ant problems in the summer. Our house is built on the slab and it’s easy for them to get in. There are two tricks I’ve learned… 1) put powder around the house or at least in the door ways. 2) wipe your counters down with Dawn dish soap. Our friends told us about that and I just put it on the sponge and wipe the counter. Since I started doing that I rarely get ants and I’m not the neatest person. lol
    Katharine from Kat’s Almost Purrfect World recently posted..HONORING MY MOM FOR MOTHER’S DAYMy Profile

Yeah my grandparents used to always have some powder around their house… I think maybe borax? I’m not sure if I’m right on that one…