The Full Tour – Part Seven – In Conclusion

Today marks the final day of what we’ve been calling “The Ugly House Tour”.

It is a day that will live in infamy. Maybe we shouldn’t go that far, but after today this blog is going to take a bit of a turn in another direction as we get on into the nitty-gritty of things that happened in this stage of our lives, rather than just looking at photos of walls, floors, and broken stuff.

So here we go with Part Seven of the Full Tour – The Things Lurking Under the House………………

Here we are standing in the backyard looking underneath the back deck (where the back door is). Cinder blocks and such. Improper foundations. You know, the usual.

Moving a little bit more to the left. Wiring and stuff falling down from Timbuktu (which is a real place, I must say). You know, the usual.

Moving to the left even still. Here we have some lattice. Kinda bent outta shape. You know, the "usj" (I actually looked up how to spell that word, it's not how I would spell it, but whatevs).

Moving to the left some more, you get a peak of the "under-the-house" workshop/lawn mower storage area.

This is underneath the deck by my "Favorite spot". More bad foundational support systems. Although, the deck was built better than the house itself. There's basically a lot of crazy stuff under there, including lots of spiders and their webs. Also crumbled concrete, unused but very old wood, etc.

Here's the under-the-house workshop. This area is directly under what we call the "office".

On the left of the workshop, we have the doorway to the "basement room".

Walking into the basement room. This room is directly under the 1st bedroom. We pretty much used this as a storage room (this house doesn't have a garage). You can't really tell in this picture besides the doorknob, but this is a very old door.

Random door (I guess this must be the door to the master bedroom that was missing). Unfinished drywall, gross carpet, etc.

Here's a little window that looks out underneath the big side deck. Not really the best view in the house.

Wanted to show you a close up of the hanging wires all over the place. Oh, and trash.

An interesting wire/spiderweb combo pack that came with the house! What a steal!

And here you can see how creative they got with the foundation posts. And more grossness.

Lots of gross pipage and a cinder block holding it up.

That's a cool little mini latch door between the underside of the house and the under-the-house workshop area.

Snake for drains.

So, as you see, just the underside of the house is an adventure all on its own.

Why did we buy this house? I have no idea what we were thinking at the time. But God was watching over us and made it all good and worth it in the end. Plus, I have to say, that we improved it a lot, and it was all possible, even though we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into.

Prior to this house, Kyle and I didn’t have any previous knowledge of construction or anything. Kyle was handy with cars, but that’s it. And I just knew I could fix a running toilet. But with our powers combined, Captain Planet and the Planeteers…… I mean… where was I?

Well, anyway, that concludes the ENTIRE tour of the ugly house. We hope you enjoyed it!

Tomorrow we fast forward past signing the escrow papers and go straight to the beginning of our handiwork on this piece of sad real estate. You don’t want to miss this!

What do you think? Would you buy this house if you saw what you just saw here today? How crazy were we on a scale of 1-10? 10 being the craziest!

11 Responses to 'The Full Tour – Part Seven – In Conclusion'

1. Julie says:

I had to laugh because I know all too well about the things you find under a house. Our basement has a bonus crawl space that we avoided for years and finally dug into this fall. We found a money bag for a bank, an entire bed frame, an old garage door, 3 dead mice, and 13 orange soda cans. It was quite a collection.

I can’t wait to see your old house go from ugly to fabulous.
    Julie recently posted..Gift Ideas: The Tech NerdMy Profile

Wow Julie! That’s a lot of random stuff you found under your house! Isn’t it so interesting what people will put under their houses (or anywhere they think people won’t see). It’s kind of shameful! lol! ;)

2. I actually said out loud, “Wow I bet there are a LOT of spiders under there” before I even read that paragraph. Spiders give me the creeps more than almost anything else! I can’t wait to see the changes you made! And on a 1-10 scale of crazy, I’m gonna go out on a limb and give you guys a 14. But in a good way – I totally admire the ability to see beyond the obvious. Crazy’s all good :)
    Janet @HouseFour recently posted..DIY sweater pillowMy Profile

LOL! Thank you for the compliment! I’m taking “14″ as a compliment that we’re super awesome! Or that we’re just that much more crazy. But even you said crazy’s all good. And in hindsight I think it all ended up just fine :) And speaking of spiders, I actually have REAL night terrors about spiders. I am almost awake in the middle of the night and it’s pitch black, but I swear I can see a spider or a multitude of spiders coming toward me in bed! It is horrible. That hasn’t happened to me in a while, but I think it’s probably happened to me at least 50 times in the last 10 years.

Wow – I’ve never seen so much space & “rooms” underneath a house before… kind of “creepy cool”.

P.S. Did you intentionally use the “day in infamy” line because it’s December 7th or is that just a humorous coincidence??
    Kate recently posted..Christmas Décor 2011: The Start of a TraditionMy Profile

Oh my gosh. The funny thing about that infamy thing is that I didn’t really put two and two together that today was the ACTUAL day of infamy. However, I think I did use that term because they’ve been talking about Pearl Harbor on the news all week, so the word is kind of at the top of my brain right now Even now as I type this, they’re talking about Pearl Harbor on the news. God Bless those who were sacrificed that day, and their families. And God Bless those who survived and even still live!

4. Reuben says:

neat. This house is really something. I’m really looking forward to reading about how you tackle some of these issues. Do you have any plans to discuss budgets (i.e. how much you paid for the house, how much each project cost, how much you sold it for, etc?)? I’m very curious.
    Reuben recently posted..Proposal for Penn CycleMy Profile

Yes, and actually, I’m not super-duper organized with how the telling is going to go down, but eventually all budget stuff will be revealed. We saved all the receipts from all we did and we still haven’t added it all up yet. However, I will go ahead and just let you know that in total we spent about $15,000 – $20,000 on renovations for the ENTIRE house inside and out. That is our rough estimate and I am 95% sure we didn’t go under or over that amount. I will be kind of upset if it adds up to over $20,000… And yes we will reveal the actual total when that blog post comes, and I’ll be letting you know as time goes on how much each project cost. Also, we will definitely tell the selling price (some people in our life already know, but some people don’t, so even our friends and family will get to know all the deets (details)). Thanks for this comment too, because it reminds me of some other things I need to include in my blog posts that I hadn’t really been thinking too much about as of yet.

5. Kendall Nalley says:

Oh my gosh! I had no idea you guys had that much space under your house! It is amazing! But so gross with all those spiderwebs and other creepy crawlies… not to mention a bad foundation….

Yeah, the foundation wasn’t done to code, but it holds up the house just fine actually (surprisingly). Even through big earthquakes! lol!

Thanks for coming by Kendall :) Yeah, lots of stuff going on under the house… That wasn’t exactly the highlight of the tour when we had guests over though… lol ;)