The Full Tour – Part Five

Hey y’all,

Hope you had a nice relaxing weekend. Is your Christmas tree up yet? Kyle has Mondays and Tuesdays off work so we went to the local Christmas tree farm last Monday and did all our decorating that day. I find that if you put on Christmas music it makes the experience that much more Christmassy!

I think the 11’s and 12’s in our dates have been confusing me. Ever since December started, I’ve been thinking the date is December of 2012. As if November is 11, so the year is 2011, and December is 12, so the year also becomes 2012. lol.

Today we’re on to Part 5 of the tour of the BEFORE house. I’m going to introduce you to the backyard. We still have a lot more pictures left, so we definitely have to break it up. So tomorrow will be the last day of the initial tour.

If you’re joining us here for the first time, Start at the Beginning.

Click here for Part One of the Tour.

Now here’s the backyard tour.

*Captions below each picture for your enjoyment/guidance.

This is what you see when you first exit the back door (which, remember, that was right underneath the stairs). You're on a little back deck area.

Here's the outdoor lightswitches and sprinkler system (which doesn't work) on the wall. The lightswitches don't have a cover, just that foam stuff for outdoor electrical safety.

Next we walk further out the deck area toward the stairs. Old swing set. Functional, but I'd wear shoes and gloves if you were thinking of playing on it (which I know you were!).

Going down the stairs. Our loan, since it was FHA, they made the bank do a couple things, like paint this deck white, before we were allowed to buy the house. Out of all the things that needed to be fixed. I think they were only concerned about the cosmetic appeal of the house.

Now at ground level, you can look at the whole backyard. I like the tree in the middle. Remember, I said we don't have very many trees in So. Cal.

Standing at the bottom of the stairs, looking to the right. We're now going to walk down this sidewalk path.

Now on the other side of the yard, looking out toward the whole backyard.

Now we're on the back end of the backyard looking back toward the house. Notice the cool half fence down the middle of the backyard... I don't know what this was for. Maybe a plan unfinished?

Here's another view of the fence, looking to the right.

Now turning around, this is the other side of the back of the yard. This fence is having trouble...

Here on the left we have these two things. One we call the chicken coop, the other one we call the shed.

Outside of the chicken coop.

Inside the chicken coop.

Outside the shed.

The shed closer up. Oh, I don't think I ever noticed that planter in front of the shed.

Inside the shed. This I think would make an awesome "clubhouse" for a kid.

It had a sink and everything, but didn't work anymore. I think this shed is as old, or almost as old, as the house. (1945)

On the side of the shed, looking toward the neighbor's yard. That fence is falling down too. The only fence that seems stable is the one that's not needed in the middle of the yard!

Now we're in the very back corner (on the other side of the useless fence in the middle of the yard) looking back toward the house.

This is an overall view of the back side of the house. I think it looks pretty cool from here (besides the dead grass and weeds). This side makes the house look really big too! As you can see, there are some paint touch-ups that have to be made (along with a ton of other work that needs to be done). Oh, and this is a good view of the multi-level fence on the right. That's some cool stuff right there. (lol)

Tomorrow we’ll give you some detailed pics of the side deck and the basement room thing which is under the house. Then after that we get into the story of transformation! Woohoo!

Here are some ways you can stay updated with One House, One Couple:

Follow us on Twitter. We announce on Twitter when we publish a new post.

Subscribe to this Blog. You will be updated through your “Reader” of choice when we publish a new post.

Like us on Facebook. We update our Facebook page when we publish a new blog post.

Announcement!!! We finally put together your “Cool Person Award” for Liking our Facebook page. Go check it out!

Before you go, be sure to leave us a comment and tell us what your favorite and least favorite parts of the backyard are.

And come back tomorrow to finish “The Tour of the Ugly House!!!”

Have a great day!  🙂

16 Responses to 'The Full Tour – Part Five'

1. That is one crazy backyard! It reminds me of an abandoned farmers backyard.
    Shannon @ bungalow960 recently posted..oh the weather outside is frightfulMy Profile

Yeah, lots of stuff going on back there. A lot of the houses in Lakeside (location of the house) are like that. It’s really sad. Most people just don’t take care of their houses/yards. But it makes life so much better and happier if you live in a nice/clean place. And it doesn’t take money to keep your house clean. Just time and lack of laziness. Let’s just say for now that we definitely cleaned it all up!

What a silly thing to require someone to paint a deck prior to buying…I mean, if that’s what you guys were going to do anyway, great, but I could think of a million and a half things I would rather someone have done to my house! Haha. Also, the “shed” makes me think of summer kitchens in older homes, although I’m not sure if they were still common in houses as “new” as 1945. Loving the tour!

That’s what I was thinking. Our FHA loan I think was more concerned with giving out a loan for a “nice on the outside” house rather than an actual quality house. Probably for pictures in their portfolio so they can say, “look at these nice houses that we give loans for”. Can’t think of any other reason for it. Because there were a ton of other worse problems with the house that should have been fixed, like faulty electrical wiring, water damage from a still leaky roof, or the fact that the house’s foundation posts were definitely not to code, to name a few. Yeah, I don’t think they made kitchens in houses like the one in the shed after 1945… maybe before the 1900s… The shed I think was just a workshop type space and there was a sink to wash your hands and whatnot (not to cook or anything).

3. Joy says:

This is exciting, I can’t wait to see the after pics!

Thanks for stopping by, Joy! We’ve got a long way to go before any after pics, but we’ll show them to you all as we go, so you don’t have to wait til the very end of the remodel to see any after pics. The first thing we tackled was the master bedroom, so those will be the first “after” pics we reveal.

I agree, crazy messy backyard. Kind of cool shed though! I’m super curious what the old owners had that fence for lol. Did that swingset come with the house??
    Kate recently posted..Pumpkin Spice Muffin BitesMy Profile

Hi Kate, My husband and I think that the fence was probably a plan to have some sort of animal, but just never got around to actually closing the fence off. Like they only got it half done. And yes, the swing set did come with the house and that would have been super awesome if we had kids (which we currently don’t). So it ended up not being used 🙁

5. I honestly feel like taking a nap after looking at all the work you had ahead of you!
    I wonder if the weird fence was some kind of dog run?
    Anyway, looking forward to seeing what you do with it all!
    Janet @ House Four recently posted..Photo Challenge – Day 8 (still raining)My Profile

Hi Janet,
      Yeah, I think the fence was probably some unfinished project to fence in some animal and they never got around to finishing it. And yeah all the work we did was extremely tiring. During the time period where we worked really hard on the house, we worked for 14 hour days of hard core physical labor, and it goes without saying that we definitely slept well those nights!

6. Abby says:

wow, I cannot imagine how long it would take to fix up that yard, not to mention the rest of the house! good luck (in hindsight)!

I’m looking forward to all the transformations, and the story to go along with it 🙂

thanks for stopping by Abby, yes it was a lot of work! We will be documenting all the transformations as we go along 🙂

7. Jennifer says:

Wow, what a huge backyard! And that shed would make a perfect playhouse/clubhouse for little kids. I agree with the other comment though, if I had that much work in front of me, I might have just gone to take a nap instead. So much potential, but a ton of work. I can’t wait to see the after pictures!
    Jennifer recently posted..Adults Only or Not?My Profile

Hi Jennifer, yeah that shed is pretty cool, but we never ended up using it for anything. It kind of felt more like a haunted house more than anything. I don’t know why, but it always felt creepy when I went in there.

8. Kelly says:

thanks for tweeting this out! it reminds me of my backyard last summer-a big hot mess! i will have to look at more posts of before.
    Kelly recently posted..Breakfast SmoothieMy Profile

yeah! Thanks for stopping by! Come back to see when I reveal what the yard looks like after we were done with it 🙂